The Dutch are known for their unique expressions and love of life. Enjoy and have fun (Veel Plezier) with these Dutch sayings and sharable screensavers.
DUTCH WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS
To fall with your nose in butter
- Translation: Met zijn neus in de boter vallen
- Meaning: To be at the right place at the right time
To sit with your mouth full of teeth
- Translation: Met de mond vol tanden staan
- Meaning: To be speechless.
Get a fresh nose
- Translation: En frisse neus halen
- Meaning: To go outside and get some fresh air.
Now my wooden shoe is breaking!
- Translation: Nu breekt mijn klomp!
- Meaning: To be totally amazed or not expect something
Talking about little cows and little calves
- Translation: Praten over koetjes en kalfjes
- Meaning: Meaning that you are chatting about nothing of importance or nothing in particular.
I can’t make any chocolate from that
- Translation: Daar kan ik geen chocola van maken
- Meaning: Similar to English expression ‘It’s all Greek to me’; indicating that you can’t understand something.
To fall with the door into the house
- Translation: Met de deur in huis vallen
- Meaning: To get straight to the point
- Translation: Handschoenen
- Meaning: Gloves